Tuesday, March 24, 2015

FIFA my second heart-stopper

www.artfifa.com
I hope you are enjoying the huge selection of documentary films on all disciplines of art offered to Montrealers the FIFA this week. I simply must mention this exquisite film that was a complete revelation to me. When I saw the title and the description of the film Beatus: The Spanish Apocalypse, I expected to see a movie investigating a major painting of Spain I had yet heard of. Instead I was taken on a journey in time through some of the most exquisite libraries of the world, through monasteries and lush mountains to uncover pages and pages of hand made books illustrating the Apocalypse as seen through the eyes of the artist monks who made them based on the commentary of the monk, Saint Beatus of Liébana.


The film took fourteen years to make. We are guided throughout the film by Professor John Williams who spent three decades studying the mystical books. It is a collaboration of Murray Grigor and Hamid Shams who produce, direct and edit the documentary.

You will be able to see it this Friday March 27 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts starting at 1:30 PM preceded by an excellent short film Les Petits secrets des grands tableaux - Courbets where the secret text behind one of the painter's famous works is analyzed.

More updates on the ongoing festival coming soon.

-LENA GHIO





No comments:

Post a Comment