Thursday, August 5, 2021

FANTASIA FEST 25 • KRATT • SATOSHI KON: The Illusionist • Paul Dood's Deadly Lunch Break • Woodlands Dark And Days Bewitched: A History Of Folk Horror


FRANÇAIS app de traduction à gauche

The 25th FANTASIA FESTIVAL is now open!

Although the pandemic has removed one of the best fun of the festival, which is being with like-minded individuals rearing for wild experiences, the online version does offer some advantages. For example, you can go to the washroom whenever you want and rewind a scene you need to have clarified! FUN!

Here is a review of my first four choices all of which I thoroughly enjoyed!

The first movie I selected for screening is the Estonian feature KRATT. I was attracted to the film after seeing the trailer in which there is a scene that reminded me of the first nightmare I can remember having as a child. I am not even sure I was school aged at the time but If I was, it had not been long since I started school. In this nightmare I ran in horror up a tiny hill as I had just witnessed a child abduction event by an evil witch who made pies with the children. I still remember the big pie! Although the imagery evoked my dream, and if you choose to see this movie you will recognize the scene I mean, the story is a different. 
KRATT

A KRATT is like the Jewish Golem. In this tale, two very modern urban children come for a visit at grandma's house in the country. They soon make friends with a pair of likeminded youths who are also without smart phone privilege. They must go it old school and soon find themselves at the public library where they find a book of magic!

I was thoroughly happy with my choice of film. First thing I must say, the characters have fabulous hair styles! Very modern and fresh. The story evolves at a good pace and some moments are quite hilarious!

The children are played by Director/Writer Rasmus Merivoo's own children, Nora and Hari, and they do an excellent job.



My second choice was SATOSHI KON: The Illusionist. a I love biographical documentaries of great artists! I wanted to know more and again I was thrilled with my choice!

It is a sad history that we often lose our brightest artists too young and too fast. Satoshi Kon was just starting to gain well deserved recognition for a lifetime of work as a Manga Master film animator and shining story teller. The featured cast of celebrities who worked with Satoshi KonDarren Aronofsky, Mamoru Hosoda, Taro Maki, Rodney Rothman, Aya Suzuki.

Plus, I have a gift for you. I found PAPRIKA on Youtube. It is free and illustrates the power of Satoshi Kon's genius.

I LOVED THIS FILM!!!





My third choice was Paul Dood's Deadly Lunch Break. I decided to watch this film after seeing a review from Patrick Beatty Reviews. On the Fantasia movie page the film is classified as a thriller/action genre BUT I see it as a dark comedy in the same vein as some Monty Python sketches like this one: The Black Knight - tis but a scratch. The story is about a momma's boy who is almost 50 years old and still trying to become a star on a national talent show like Britain's got talent. A series of misadventure prevent him from arriving on time to the casting call and then he finally lets loose his repressed grief and frustration.

Paul Dood is the person who has absolutely no talent, or even style, that we see on these shows that make us secretly laugh at them for being so oblivious to their failing. This movie allows us to laugh at this type of absurdity without hurting a real person. The movie has some shots that made me laugh out loud! I ENJOYED IT! If dark humour is your dada, you will love it!

The film is directed by Nick Gillespie; written by Brook Driver, Nick Gillespie, Matt White; the cast: Mandeep Dhillon, Alice Lowe, Kris Marshall, Tom Meeten, Katherine Parkinson.


My fourth choice was the epic documentary Woodlands Dark And Days Bewitched: A History Of Folk Horror . This movie lasts 192 minutes and it is filled to the brim with some of the best horror film scenes of all times! I just loved the way the myths of the world that are at the heart of our ghost stories and night fears are so similar. We see the role of religion, of country, of folkloric myths in shaping not only great movies but also cultural revivals. I see a link, for example, between The Wicker Man and Burning Man Festival. Again the advantage of watching the movie online is that you can stop and rewind it for greater comfort and deeper understanding.

The movie is written and directed by Kier-La Janisse and features Robert Eggers, Lawrence Gordon Clark, Piers Haggard, Alice Lowe, Jonathan Rigby.

If you don't have your tickets follow this link.

-LENA GHIO  

No comments:

Post a Comment