Saturday, October 8, 2022

51e FNC • DIASPORA by Deco Dawson

FESTIVAL NOUVEAU CINÉMA

FRANÇAIS app de traduction à gauche

I watched Diaspora by Deco Dawson featuring Yuliia Guzhva with fascination with how it relates the immigrant experience of those who come to Canada. 

The first misconception immigrants to Canada must face is that Canada is not populated by abundant benefactors who only want to protect human rights and are helpful to all human beings. It is a vast melting pot of races, cultures, religions, languages and flawed human beings.

What I thought brilliant about this movie is that it illustrates the Canadian paradox clearly. The movie takes place in a very disadvantaged neighborhood of Winnipeg. When Ukranian immigrant Eva arrives in her "new" apartment, it is so bleak: broken down, empty fridge, holes in walls. To give us a sense of how Eva is experiencing her confrontation with the diaspora, only her dialogue is subtitled. It worked for me, giving me moments of stress, impatience and bewilderment as I am placed in Eva's position of not understanding my interlocutor. 

The character of Eva is very courageous. I know I would never move to Winnipeg to start a new life. We never get to know why Eva did.

This movie is a perfect example of what the FNC stands for, the exploration of new ways of telling stories with cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment