Friday, August 21, 2020

FANTASIA - THE RECKONING - a revue


As I get ready to review THE RECKONING that I screened last night I have become aware that one of the writers, who is also the star of the movie, Charlotte Kirk, is embroiled in a second sex scandal 1 2 . Way to begin FANTASIA with a BANG! So last night's Q&A was cancelled.

I wont dwell on that. I prefer to talk about the movie per se. I was looking forward to this witchcraft movie based on 17th century witch hunts in England. A huge public was captivated by the success of Game of Thrones that brought wickedness and cruelty to a whole new level for prime time TV. I could not help but compare certain features for the visceral impact they had on me as I eagerly followed GOT. One was GOT's majestic soundtrack that immediately lit up my whole system with excited anticipation. This movie's soundtrack has no supporting beat to underline the tensions of the devastating events going on in the form of a plague. That would have enhanced the drama and the mood of the movie greatly. Instead the soundtrack and decor give the film a soap opera feel that is hard to shake.

Poire d'angoisse
Then there is the lack of logic in the sequencing of events. The heroine, Grace Haverstock played by Charlotte Kirk, is "tortured" for 3 days after her evil landlord accuses her of witchcraft because she wouldn't have sex with him ( incredibly ironic- ⇑ ). This information is made clear with inserts of the timeline on authentic reproductions of woodcuts depicting the witch hunts in England. The torture happens in an elegant foyer as opposed to a dingy dungeon as it occurred in history. For three days she is gently pocked with various tools including a vaginal torture with a   Poire d'angoisse that was widely used in Paris around the same time as the plot line is dated.

We are supposed to believe that a victim of so much horror, who has been bleeding for three days, without the benefit of antibiotics during a plague in the 17th century, then has the strength to wield a massive sword and successfully attack the men who have hurt her. AND don't get me started on the tiny baby doll that is totally distracting!

On the plus side there are a few well crafted death scenes.

I am sorry to say I was disappointed with this feature film BUT I would not have missed it!


No comments:

Post a Comment